Whether your items are in storage for a few days, weeks, or months, you will need to take steps to prevent damage and decline. To help you with this we have broken this down into an easy to follow two-step process to help keep your storage stress free.
The deep clean
- Focus on removing dust from furniture surfaces by wiping them with a soft, dry cloth, and polishing metal parts of your furniture.
- Wooden furniture requires an application of an appropriate cleaning product to surfaces before wiping them down with a damp cloth. After this, the wood needs to be “sealed” by adding a coat of furniture polish to avoid the wood drying out.
- Leather upholstery needs a more thorough clean with a vacuum, followed by the application of a suitable leather cleaner. The cleaner will need to be left to develop (depending on the products instructions), before being wiped down with a clean, dry cloth. To finish this process, apply a leather protecting spray/cream to keep the upholstery in prime condition.
- Regardless of the material, all furniture needs to be completely dry before you begin packing it for storage. Any damp areas can lead to mould over time, and nobody wants that!
Pack for success
- Disassemble large pieces where possible as it is safer for transport and easier to store.
- The first layer of furniture protection should be large pieces of cloth, such as bed sheets or furniture blankets, to keep out dust and moisture.
- Add extra padding (blankets/clothes) to delicate parts such as legs and ornaments.
- Plastic wrap, such as bubble wrap, should be added as a second layer for additional protection, however this should not be placed directly onto furniture as it can lead to condensation for “breathable” materials.
- Protect furniture by placing cardboard over glass elements before adding protective layers.
- Whilst you can use packing tape to hold protective materials together, avoid placing it directly onto furniture.
If you are looking for self storage in Leicester or the surrounding areas, contact MIGHTY Self Storage today on 0116 239 3000 for a free, no obligation quote.